Which Roads Are the Most Prone to Motorcycle Accidents in Florida?
Data collected by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration indicates that Florida has some of the deadliest roads in the country for motorcyclists. Several of the state’s most frequently traveled highways have a high rate of motorcycle accidents and fatalities.
At Mase Mebane Seitz, we provide dedicated representation for motorcycle accident victims in Miami and throughout South Florida. Our team of experienced attorneys will fight for you to receive the compensation you deserve if you are seriously injured or lose a loved one in a crash.
If you were injured in a Florida motorcycle accident, contact our office at (305) 487-8863 to schedule a free case evaluation.
Deadliest Roads in Florida for Motorcyclists
An analysis of NHTSA data from 2016–2020 shows that Florida is the most dangerous state in the nation for motorcyclists. Of the top 10 most deadly roads for motorcycle operators in the nation, 7 were located in the state.
According to NHTSA data, the deadliest roads in Florida for motorcyclists were:
- US-1: 136 fatal motorcycle crashes resulting in 141 fatalities. A staggering 25% of all fatal crashes involved motorcycles.
- US-41: 91 fatal motorcycle accidents resulting in 99 fatalities. Motorcycles were involved in 22% of all fatal crashes.
- US-19: 76 fatal motorcycle accidents causing 80 deaths. 25% of all fatal accidents involved motorcyclists.
- I-95: 63 deadly motorcycle crashes resulting in 64 fatalities. 14% of all deadly accidents involved at least one motorcycle.
- US-441: 47 fatal motorcycle accidents causing 49 deaths. Motorcycles were involved in 17% of all fatal crashes.
- US-27: 45 deadly motorcycle accidents killing 47 people. 15% of all fatal crashes involved motorcycles.
- US-17: 42 fatal motorcycle crashes resulting in 41 deaths. 9% of all deadly accidents involved motorcyclists.
Over the course of the four years, there were over 171,000 fatal accidents. Almost 15% of those deadly collisions involved at least one motorcycle.
Why Are There So Many Motorcycle Accidents?
In 2020 alone there were 5,579 motorcycle fatalities and an estimated 82,528 motorcyclists were injured according to NHTSA. They are involved in a surprisingly large number of accidents despite only making up 3% of the registered vehicles on the road. Motorcyclists are 28 times more likely to be killed in an accident compared to other motorists or passenger car occupants.
It is unclear what makes Florida roads more dangerous for motorcyclists. Factors in motorcycle accidents often include operator inattention, slow-moving traffic, driving under the influence, and driver inexperience.
Involved in a Motorcycle Accident in Florida?
Were you or someone you loved involved in a motorcycle accident in Florida? You might be entitled to compensation through a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit. It is important to act fast to protect your right to recovery.
Contact our office at (305) 487-8863 to schedule a free, no-obligation case evaluation. Our attorneys can help you understand your rights and ensure that you do not settle for less than your case is worth. We fight for you and your family. Call our office today to speak directly with an experienced attorney.