Learn More

What Is Florida’s Financial Responsibility Law?

June 23, 2023
Personal Injury

Car Insurance Requirements in the Sunshine State

Florida requires all motorists to provide proof of financial responsibility when driving in the state. Drivers must carry both Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Property Damage Liability (PDL). Failure to carry the minimum amount of insurance can result in the suspension of your driving privileges and other consequences.

Since Florida is a no-fault state, many times, injured parties will file a claim through their own insurance company regardless of who was to blame for the accident. However, if someone is seriously injured, they may be able to file a lawsuit or insurance claim against a liable party. To understand your rights after an accident, it is important to speak to an attorney. 

What Are the Financial Responsibility Requirements in Florida?

Chapter 324 of the Florida Statutes defines the financial responsibility requirements in the state. As explained in the statutes, motorists in the state must carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) in the amount of $10,000 and $10,000 in Property Damage Liability (PDL). 

What Is Personal Injury Protection (PIP)?

As explained by the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance covers up to 80% of all “necessary and reasonable medical expenses,” regardless of who was at fault for the accident. It also provides for up to 60% of your lost wages and $5,000 in death benefits. Therefore, even if you caused the accident, you are able to file a claim with your own insurance policy to obtain compensation. 

Personal injury protection could provide coverage for:

  • You or your passengers in a motor vehicle collision;
  • You if you are involved in a pedestrian accident;
  • You if you are injured in a bicycle accident; and
  • Certain members of your household and family members.

In order to determine whether you should file a claim through your PIP coverage or a lawsuit against a liable party, you need to consult with an attorney. A lawyer can help you decide the best course of action after an accident. 

What Is Property Damage Liability (PDL)?

Property damage liability (PDL) provides coverage if you cause damage to another person’s property. Florida requires that you carry a minimum of $10,000 in PDL. Things that may be covered under PDL include but are not limited to another person’s vehicle, home, fence, or other property. 

Other Types of Insurance Coverage in Florida

While Florida mandates PIP and PDL coverage, there are also several other types of insurance coverage that you may want to consider.

Other insurance options to consider:

  • Bodily Injury Liability Insurance provides coverage if you are responsible for an accident that injures or kills another person. Bodily injury liability (BIL) is not required by Florida law, but it is worth considering to help avoid having to pay out of pocket in a collision that results in serious injury or death.
  • Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage provides coverage in the event that you are injured by an uninsured or underinsured motorist. Uninsured and underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage can help ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve, even if the person who hit you does not have enough insurance to cover all of your damages.

State law mandates that insurers must offer UM/UIM coverage and that a motorist may reject the coverage. 

Contact Our Office to Learn More

At Mase Seitz Briggs, we represent individuals who have been seriously injured in car accidents in Miami and throughout South Florida. To learn more about insurance requirements in Florida or to speak to an attorney about your personal injury case, contact our office at (844) 627-3529. All case consultations are free and without obligation to retain our firm.

Return to All Blogs
Share This Story
If you found the information provided by this article useful, consider sharing to your social media channels to help others in their search for reliable personal injury resources.
Get Your Case Evaluation
Contact us online now by using the form below, or call us at (305) 377-3770.

Get Your Free Consultation
(305) 377-3770
Mase Seitz Briggs
2601 South Bayshore Drive
Suite 800
Miami, FL 33133

Phone: 305-487-8863
Toll Free: 1-844-904-1749
Fax: 305-377-0080
1200 N Federal Hwy
Suite 200
Boca Raton, FL 33432

Phone: 561-210-8516
Fax: 561-210-8301
*Available by Appointment*
crosschevron-down linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram